Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Day 11 of 12 Days of Christmas Good Friends and Good Reads - John Desjarlais


John is a recent addition to my friends list. I met him in Muncie, Indiana, at Magna Cum Murder He has been helping me find myself ever since and I don’t even think he knows it. John is involved with the Catholic Writers Guild. I hadn’t realized it at the time we met but I had asked to do a guest chat months before. After the conference he invited me to the group and I felt instantly at home. John then sent me an email about helping him publicize his newest book out this spring and wanted to know if I would be okay with talking about secular issues.

To this point as an author, I’ve tried to stay bland on any stand, least I offend a potential buyer. So far that hasn’t work so well for me. (I have a lot more to say on that but this isn’t the place.) John has pushed a few buttons and made me think about who and what I am as a person and as an author.


John writes thrillers that swirl around Catholic churches and their doctrines. I haven’t read one yet but am looking forward to them. He has received some fantastic reviews. His current book, Bleeder, is about a priest who bleeds to death in front of his congregation on Good Friday and his friend who is the prime suspect. The sequel to Bleeder, Viper, will be out in March and brings back fiery Latina insurance agent Selena De La Cruz. Working against time, prejudice, and her own Latino community’s suspicions, Selena reluctantly re-joins her old DEA colleagues to hunt a deadly drug dealer who is out of jail and systematically killing everyone who ever crossed him.

John, thank you for making me think about who I am and what I want to be and opening some doors I didn’t even know existed!

http://www.johndesjarlais.com

No comments:

Post a Comment