Wednesday, March 17, 2010

It’s St. Patrick’s Day and Mitch Malone insisted on taking over for me. Says I’m slacking or something and he has a mite he wants to say. (He’s cringed at my attempt at an Irish Brogue!)

Mitch Malone here to wish everyone a Happy St. Patrick’s Day. You see the wearing of the green may seem silly, but for us with a wee bit of Irish in them, it is sacrilege not to at least say something in its honor.

I’m not big on finding me kin but I do know the Malone family emigrated from County Cork in Ireland and then to the United States via Canada. Cork is famous for the Blarney Stone don’t you know.

I went to visit Ireland once as part of a high school trip. That was before I decided to be a crime beat reporter and was still pretty green. (St. Patrick’s Day does bring out the silly side of Mitch Malone.)

Now kissing the Blarney Stone was one of the hardest things to do. It’s like standing on your head. A little gymnastics is needed as you bend backwards over a very hard rock. When you look down and all you can see is air for three stories, you are in the right spot. Now all the blood is rushing to your head and it is no wonder you feel euphoria after you quickly plant a kiss on “the” rock just so you can reach terra firma again.

So, in honor of my heritage, I’ve donned a Kelly green shirt to wear under my leather jacket, just for today. Hope you’ve done the same. Here’s an Irish toast to commemorate the day:
Here's to a long life and a merry one.
A quick death and an easy one.
A pretty girl and an honest one.
A cold beer-and another one!
--Old Irish Toast

No comments:

Post a Comment