Monday, September 12, 2011

Kerrytown BookFest Featuring Louise Penny

On Sunday I went to the Kerrytown BookFest in Ann Arbor, Michigan. I’d never been and it was really nice. I didn’t realize there were so many specialized book publishers. I also had the privilege of listening to Louise Penny being interviewed by Robin Agnew of Aunt Agatha’s Book Store.

I’ve not read any of Louise’s books but I will be, I guarantee it not only from Robin’s kind words but because of the author. She was so interesting, engaging and comfortable playing the 200 plus people there.

I’m comfortable talking to people but she related to the audience within seconds. She talked about her husband, her writing process, a hilarious story about how she got one of the ideas (from her husband). Her mysteries feature Inspector Armand Gamache and are set in Canada. The first book on my list is the one where someone is killed by electrocution on a frozen lake during a curling match.

I wish I had taken notes and been closer to the front so I could see more of her facial expressions. But you didn’t need to see her to know she was having fun. The hour flew by and the audience’s questions came fast and furious. Someday I hope I’m as comfortable with an audience and have people entranced by the stories I tell.

10 comments:

  1. Isn't it wonderful how a great speaker can captivate a crowd? It's truly an art, one I'm still learning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by Susan! You are inspirational! Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a great time, Wendy.

    I find these kinds of local events are really inspirational. I need to go to more of them myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have her latest book for review right now. She creates such a sense of "place" in her books. I think that'll be my angle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. *waving*I can tell you had a wonderful time, Wendy. We don't have a lot of these events in our small town. We need more of them.

    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great time, Wendy. I agree, small towns need these types of events.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like an awesome time, Wendy! I wish I'd known about the event - I live just outside of Grand Rapids, MI!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think there are a lot of them, but people just don't know about them. I heard at Kerrytown that there was one in Okemos the day before. There is a book festival at the Grand Rapids Public Library on Oct. 15 that I will be presenting at with a bunch of other authors. There also is a writing conference in Grand Rapids the weekend either before or after. Here is the link: http://bit.ly/GRRWGConference.

    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello fellow blog book tourers and ace teacher, Dani. Thanks for stopping by. I hope you will make it a regular stop!
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete