Monday, February 14, 2011

Mitch Malone Mondays - Ryan Murphy from Gumbo Justice by Holli Castillo


It’s Valentine’s Day and I’m tired of the flowers, candy and balloons showing up at the Grand River Journal newsroom. We are professionals, keep that romantic stuff where it belongs at home! Today as the special guest we have Ryan Murphy from Gumbo Justice by Holli Castillo. Ryan you are a district attorney in New Orleans. Why would you want to live there? Don’t you like snow?

Two words- Go cup. You can walk around in public with alcohol as long as it is in a plastic cup and not a can or bottle. Sure I like snow, but I like Tequila more. I guess I could also add gumbo, crawfish, beignets, 24/7 bars and restaurants, Mardi Gras, the Saints, the streetcar, drive-through Daiquiri shops, the French Quarter, and of course the crazy characters to my list of reasons for living in New Orleans. Living in the crime capital of the country I also have great job security as a prosecutor. And if something ever happens, I could switch to defense work and know I'll always be able to earn a living. Hard to picture it, I know, me a die-hard prosecutor and all, but you never know what might happen in the future...

It would be great to walk down the street with a beer. I bet there are lots of stories for me to cover there with all that crime. You are pretty tough character and faced some horrible things in Gumbo Justice. How did you get to be a tough female?

I grew up with four older brothers, each who tortured me more than the next. It was fight or flight in my family, and I'm too short to run fast. Plus I have a big mouth. When you're as outspoken as I am, you learn early on you need to be able to back it up. In the south, girls grow up fighting. It's put up or shut up, and as I mentioned, I'm not a big fan of shutting up.

What’s next for you in Jambalaya Justice?


Cherry, my hooker friend from Gumbo Justice, gets herself killed, and the detective assigned to the case, an older guy who could use some lessons in hygiene, doesn't work the case like I think he should. Of course, I manage to tag along for the investigation, and I even get to go undercover as a hooker myself. Plus I have my regular cases to prosecute, the murders by mob boss Marcelo Gendusa, a nasty domestic violence case, and the armed robbery of Big Who's strip club. For the record, stripper poles are NOT as easy to maneuver as you might think. All in a day's work, right?

You dress as a hooker? Can I take photos? Okay, maybe not. I can see your thinking I’m a brother that needs to be taken down. Ryan, what’s your take on all this Valentine’s Day sentimentality?

I'm not particularly sentimental, or at least I don't want people to think I am. Most people see sentimentality as a weakness. But just between you and me, I'm a big fan of Valentine's Day, and all the romance and sex it involves. Especially the sex part. A girl has needs, you know? My perfect V-Day would involve candles, a Jacuzzi tub, a bottle of wine, a box of chocolates, and a certain hot cop.

Wow. I wish I was going to New Orleans for Valentine’s Day and we could hook up. I’m going to be stuck in a blizzard, which is a good thing after that last answer. In Gumbo Justice there was a bit of romance between you and a cop friend of your brothers. Any chance that romance is going to continue?


The relationship will definitely continue, we'll just to see for all long. In case you haven't noticed, I tend to shoot myself in the foot a lot. I also don't have the best track record with the guys I pick out, so we'll just have to see where this goes.

Any chance you would be interested in moving to Grand River and allowing a reporter friend to get the inside scoop? I might be interested in making a dinner out of it …

I don't know about moving to Grand River, but I'm always up for a visit, especially if food is involved. Of course, it would have to be platonic. Shep has a jealous streak, and if things don't work out with him, badass undercover detective Monte Carlson is never more than a phone call away...

Thanks for having me, Mitch. The next time you have a mystery to work out, I would love to help you out.

Jealous huh? Well maybe we will plan a trip for some future date. I wouldn’t want to cause a rift in any relationship. I’m all for nonviolent means. That’s why I write the news.

Check out Ryan in action. Buy the book, Gumbo Justice. http://gumbojustice.net/

8 comments:

  1. Fun to read two of my favorite characters interacting and both being their sassy selves. They make an interesting pair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike, I think Hubert would get a kick out of Mitch and Ryan, after he got over the culture shock.

    Holli

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure Mitch would enjoy the champagne. He's more of a beer man. He may try and do shots of tequila with Ryan though.
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats to Holli, Ryan, and Mitch. Definitely a three-armed threat! Fun interview!!

    Kit

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by Marilyn and Kit.
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the interview. Looks like a very interesting series.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know I'm late with this, but I just wanted to say I love a beer kind of guy and so would my protag who runs a microbrewery.

    ReplyDelete